Explore other views of this blog: www.jacquelynweitz.blogspot.com/view

Monday, May 23, 2011

Singing Quote

A couple from church, Brother and Sister Harris, came to my recital last Sunday, and afterwards Brother Harris told me that watching my recital he was reminded of a quote that he would give to me at church the following Sunday. So Sister Harris gave me the quote in an envelope at church yesterday, and I thought it was very beautiful so I am writing it down here on my blog so I don't lose it or forget it.  Here it is:

Rabindranath Tagore
from Gitanjali

When thou commandest me to sing it seems that my heart would break with pride; and I look to thy face, and tears come to my eyes.

All that is harsh and dissonant in my life melts into one sweet harmony---and my adoration spreads wings like a glad bird on its flight across the sea.

I know thou takest pleasure in my singing. I know that only as a singer I come before thy presence.

I touch by the edge of the far-apreading wing of my song thy feet which I could neer aspire to reach.

Drunk with the joy of singing I forget myself and call thee friend who art my lord.  

No comments:

Post a Comment