Explore other views of this blog: www.jacquelynweitz.blogspot.com/view

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The joys of progress

Okay so I know this might seem silly but I just did something that made me really happy.

        On Tuesdays and Thursdays I attend a religion class where we study the Old Testament, and usually when I go I play the piano for an opening hymn.  Well, today, my teacher, Brother Reid, asked me if I could play a different version of "Away in a Manger" than the one that is in the hymnbook.  He said he thought that there used to be a different version that he liked better than the one that is in there now - but that he couldn't remember how it went.   I knew of the two different versions of this popular song, but I have never tried to play them without music... I told him I'm not a very good improviser, but that I could try - but that I probably would mess up.  He said that would be alright, so I sat down and picked a key (F major), gave a little introduction, and they sang along as I played the opening hymn by ear!     Of course I made some mistakes but basically it was fine - and afterward Brother Reid thanked me and said, "Now that's the Christmas I remember!". 

          My ears are getting better!!!   Mi fa felice!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment