Explore other views of this blog: www.jacquelynweitz.blogspot.com/view

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Semester Finished!

I am very happy to announce that my semester has ended!  I gave my final singing evaluation on Tuesday this week, and it seems to have gone pretty well.

I was so happy because I got back my comments from the vocal faculty yesterday and they were more positive about my singing than they have ever been before.  I know I have improved a lot this year, and it is so gratifying to know that the improvement is showing.  I am so grateful to Jane and my other teachers that have helped me over the years, who continue to help me and guide me.

I sang a song by Copland, called "Why Do They Shut Me Out of Heaven?"  The lyrics are from a poem by Emily Dickinson.

Do you want to read my comments?  I can type them up for you.  Hopefully that's not being too egotistical...I am just so happy about them.

 But first I should give you the lyrics to the song because a couple of the faculty members made funny references to them in their comments:

Why do they shut me out of heaven?
Did I sing to loud?
But I can sing a little minor,
Timid as a bird.
Wouldn't the angels
Try me just once more?
Just see if I troubled them -
But don't shut the door, don't shut the door.
Oh, if I were the gentlemen in the white robes
And they were the little hand that knocked,
Could I forbid, could I forbid, could I forbid?
Why do they shut me out of heaven?
Did I sing too loud?

Okay. Here are the comments:

Daniel Mobbs: Great English diction. nice long phrases - Well done!  Enjoy your break!

Sylvia Anderson: Excellent presentation of this wonderful song! Your talent shows forth!

Cesar Ulloa: You have a very sweet voice. Very expressive and musical -- Great job! Keep up the good work you are doing with your teacher!

Leroy Kromm: Very nice! Very good sense of pitch. Great musicality.  Good improvement. Keep up the good work to maintain good breath management! Merry Christmas -

Jane Randolph (my teacher): Well, you were incredibly musical, but you were not aware of your low support and you definitely had to make space as a result -

Cathy Cook:  Great job - wonderful improvement and progress this semester - it's really coming along! keep up the great work!!

Patricia Craig: Nicely sung! Pretty, silvery sound!  Have a good break -

Ruby Pleasure: Why do they shut me out of heaven?  I would let you in.  We know that you have the highs and flexibility but I'm enjoying the warmth I'm hearing.

Pamela Fry: Your voice has grown so much! It's not too loud, just beautiful! Way to go! Don't check yourself out -- just let it go - you're such a good musician, just trust it and let it go - have fun!


I found it amusing how Jane was definitely my worst critic, which is of course her job.  I am so grateful for her perfectionism.  It is obviously doing good things for me.


Now I have just one more semester to go.  I feel really ready to be out of school next year.  I decided not to apply for the Post-Graduate Diploma right now at the conservatory because I just can't see myself going into more debt at this point.  I think I might try to work next year as a vocal coach and piano/voice teacher in San Francisco....But it will be hard to pay for an apartment because rent has gone WAY up in San Francisco in the last couple of years.   So we'll see how long I can survive.

I am excited though!


No comments:

Post a Comment