Explore other views of this blog: www.jacquelynweitz.blogspot.com/view

Monday, April 22, 2013

Nearing a close

It is now only one month until I will give my first-year vocal jury at the San Francisco Conservatory of music.  I have to say I am feeling a great sense of happiness and relief as I am seeing the end of this semester draw near.  Not because I am in a hurry to leave the conservatory (on the contrary), but because it will be so nice to be able to rest for a little while after the semester is finished.  It has been very very intense the past months of my life!   And now I am feeling very tired.

I have two papers remaining to write for my Film Music class, and two more assignments and a final project to do for my Vocal Pedagogy Class.  I might do one of those tonight.  I also need to work on my paper for film music.  I was planning to do that Sunday night, but got an email from my Professor saying that he postponed the deadline from this Monday (today) until the following Monday (whew!).  I'd still like to get it done now though, instead of staying up all night next Sunday!

I applied to be an RA (resident assistant) at the school dormitory next year.   I'm hoping to find out soon if I got the job or not.   If I do that will mean free rent for next year, which would be very nice!  That would ease up a lot of my financial pressures and concerns for next year.  But we will see. 

I also have a friend named Crystal that would like me to move into a nice apartment with her this summer (and move out of the dorms!) which could also be very nice...but I'm not sure how I would afford it next year without working.   But I am going to go look at the place with her tomorrow, anyway, to see if I am interested.

In the meantime, I also need to get all of my music memorized for my jury in May!  So much to do.

This summer I think I will try to stay in San Francisco, if I can. I'll try to get a job somewhere, maybe teaching or accompanying or waitressing or something.  So I can pay the rent, take lessons with Jane, and practice.  

I love San Francisco... I'm already anticipating my graduation in one year (which will come very fast, I know!), and wondering what I will do after that???   I really want to pursue performing and making recordings, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it.  I've also thought about the possibility of going for a Doctorate...but I'm just not sure that I really want to devote the next several years of my life to MORE academia.   Although, one of my friends just got a full ride PLUS a large stipend for living to go get his doctorate at a university in Illinois.  And he doesn't even have to work for the stipend (as an assistant or anything!).  That's a pretty sweet deal, worth about $40,000 per year for the next three years.

But something tells me I need to find a way to really concentrate on my goals...

But how?

Practicing and making recordings takes a lot of time, and that's hard to come by when one is either working full-time trying to support oneself or going to school full-time. But it's also hard to do when I'm living at home with all of my family, and have all the responsibilies of home and family and pets and visitors, etc.

Maybe it's just going to be hard, no matter what, and somehow I just have to find a way.

Anyway, I'm praying for opportunities to show themselves.  I'm sure the right things will happen for me at the right time, because God has always watched over me in the past.

I guess I should go get writing that paper....

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment