Explore other views of this blog: www.jacquelynweitz.blogspot.com/view

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Phew!

Okay, so Opera Direction class wasn't as scary as I thought today...  I did stay up until 1:30 a.m. last night memorizing my aria, and then I slept for five hours before getting up to finish memorizing.   But then I went to class, and I thought I was going to have to sing while we worked on staging with one of the student directors -- but it actually ended up being just a discussion about our understanding of our characters and the interpretation of the piece.   I was relieved!  But I'm glad I got the aria memorized, anyway.  That's  certainly no time wasted!

The aria is a duet from Massenet's opera, "Cherubin".  I'm playing a famous Spanish dancer, named "L'Ensoleillad", who is being seduced by a 20-year old who has just been called into the army. . .  The music is soooo beautiful.  I'm excited to perform it.   The performance will be November 18th.

I have been overwhelmed with my schedule lately, and I decided, reluctantly, to drop my composition class.   Composing takes a lot of time and creative energy, and I am finding it's taking a lot of time away from both my piano and vocal practicing, which I can't really afford right now (since, after all, I am here for a performance degree).

I had a disappointing lesson with Paul last week (I was disappointing, not him), just because I hadn't practiced enough.  And he basically told me, if I don't have enough time to practice, he doesn't want to waste his time spending an hour with me each week.   It made me feel really terrible and depressed, even though I completely understood.  But it made me realize I need to re-prioritize and trim down my schedule a bit, which is a good thing! 

  All things in their proper order.  I will still keep working on writing and recording my own songs in my spare time, but without the pressure of having a major project due by a certain deadline.

Okay.  I have to go decide what I am going to sing for the next Vocal Department Recital on October 11th!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment