Explore other views of this blog: www.jacquelynweitz.blogspot.com/view

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Continuo continued... and other things

I thought I'd give an update to my last post since I didn't write what ended up happening.

Last week when I played for Continuo it went much much better than the week before.  However - part of the reason that it seemed better was that nobody else practiced much, so in comparison I didn't look as bad as the time before! :-) However, I played again this week, and it was even better this time. I was still worse than the others, but at least I didn't feel like crying afterwards.  It was actually kind of fun because the piece that he gave us last time was a song by Charpentier, and since I am a singer as well, Mr. Jamason (our teacher), had me sing the vocal part while the others played the continuo.  When it got to be my turn, there was no one to sing while I played, so he told me to sing for myself.  I didn't do very well at that, but I really enjoyed it, anyway - it was kind of exhilarating.  I want to perform more concerts where I both sing and play - I think it would be so incredibly awesome if I could do a concert like that with an orchestra someday.

On Sunday I performed at an Interfaith Choral Concerto in San Mateo, where I both played the organ and sang a solo.  The organ made me really nervous because I am not comfortable yet with the foot-pedals, but it was fun none-the-less.  I got a call yesterday from the church where I performed, asking if I would be willing to sing for a funeral coming up next weekend. One of the people who attended the concert Sunday heard me sing and requested me.  I agreed to do it - (it will pay pretty well), and so I have to learn "Time to say Goodbye" for that (the one that Sarah Brightman and Celine Dion both sing). 

Tonight I am going to go with my friend, Hannah to see the San Francisco Opera perform "Figaro".  We got standing room tickets for only $10, but hopefully we will be able to find a place to sit down part way through because standing for three hours would be terrible.

1 comment: